Ideas for Plenary 2

Moderators: Leif.Laaksonen, SaraPittonetGaiarin

Ideas for Plenary 2

Postby parsonsm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 am

The next RDA Plenary will be at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington DC, 16-18 September.

Please share any ideas you have for topics of discussion, speakers, ways to organize the meeting, or anything else you think is relevant.

We hope the meeting will be at least as engaging as the Launch in Gothenburg.

Tell us what you think.
Mark A. Parsons
RDA/US
parsonsm

Re: Ideas for Plenary 2

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 pm

One small idea is to set up a twitter handle (#rdaplen2 ????) for the meeting well enough before hand to get wide discussion among the scientific community before the event.
Gary

Postby parsonsm » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Hashtag #RDAPlenary for the next (and all subsequent?) Plenaries.
Mark A. Parsons
RDA/US
parsonsm

Postby Jamie.Shiers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm

IMHO something that should be established as early as possible is the draft schedule.

e.g. will the meeting end mid-afternoon on Wednesday September 18? At lunchtime? In the evening?

Thanks a lot, Jamie
Jamie.Shiers

Postby kashley » Thu May 02, 2013 11:31 am

In general I think we should be looking at a programme that has little in the way of speakers and lots in the way of time allocated to working groups. Those that have already been approved should have something to report back and ideally we want the opportunity to discuss that report rather than allocate lots of time to it being delivered verbally. Those that are still trying to get their case statements together need lots of opportunity to refine and share their ideas. The last meeting have a strong steer that this is what attendees want and I think it's also what the RDA f[o]unders want. I think it will also be beneficial to have a programme that switches back and forth more than once between breakout activity and plenary activity where breakouts report back or solicit participation in the next breakout.

Some specific replies to points by others:

Hashtag #RDAPlenary for the next (and all subsequent?) Plenaries.

Yes. Never really understood the desire to have meeting-specific tags.

IMHO something that should be established as early as possible is the draft schedule.

I also strongly agree. Fixing start and end times early on enables those who need to economise on travel costs to do so.
kashley

Return to RDA Plenary2