CASE Statement Agricultural Data Interoperability

Where we discuss case statements that are "final" (i.e. ready for review).

Moderators: Leif.Laaksonen, SaraPittonetGaiarin

CASE Statement Agricultural Data Interoperability

Postby Keizer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Keizer

Re: CASE Statement Agricultural Data Interoperability

Postby Keizer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:21 pm

By Hugo Besemer:

The proposed charter includes elements of a workplan. This workplan concentrates on the custiodianship of standards ("ontologies, including vocabularies and thesauri"). It may be a useful activity preparing for the moment that data from agriculotural research activities will be exposed as LOD triples. In the meantime thjere are other urgent issues with regard to agricultural data, as a resuolt of "Data's shamefuil neglect", as Nature called it in a 2009 article. Much of the data that underlies agricultural or for that matter most other research is not stored in any systematic way.
There are codes of conduct for scientific research requiring that data underlying publications should be kept for verification purposes for a certain time (often five years) Even for an Open Access journal like Plos One with a very specific code for the availability of underlying data only 10% of that data could be obtained when people asked for it.
We are losing much more data then we did when everything had to be recorded on paper.
What is lost can not be exposed as triples.
Good data management planning makes research pratice easier, as well as data archiving after conclusion of the research. Research funders like NSF (USA) and RCUK require a data management plan for grants. (The EU as a research funder does not seem ready for such a general policy, although some programms do have such a requirement) position.
Requirements are different for different discplines (and hence for different Research Councils or parts of NSF) Agricuiltural Sciences are multidisciplinary rather than disciplinary, but would there be specific requirements for data management planning in the agricultural area?

If the working group covers all aspects of data management in agricultural research I will be happy to participate. If it limits itself to the custodianship of ontologies the working group should be formed, in my opinion, by the owners of those ontologies

Regards

Hugo Besemer
Keizer

Postby Keizer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:21 pm

By Odile Hologne

Dear colleagues,

I'm head of scientific information at Inra, the French research institute.
I'm really happy and motivated to exchange with you on agricultural data because we have a lot of scientific and world challenges.
We have a lot of subject to handle with data :
- data management
- data sharing
- data reusability (which imply sharing)

When we discussed with Johannes and Carlos, we shared the idea that RDA working group should not embrace everything but should address some specific subject to get results shortly (18 months). That's why this proposal is focused on the last step "reusability" with semantic web technologies.
Data management is of course the first step but I haven't yet identify specific concern for agriculture but it could be ...

I hope this help to understand our approach and feel free to express yourself, we'll improve the project together this way Thank you in advance
Keizer

Postby verwaart » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 am

Dear colleagues,

I would be very happy to join the discussion. This topic deserves high priority now that technology has developed to a stage where efficient sharing of data is only still hindered by organizational barriers and a lack of common concepts in ontologies. A host of agricultural research data and statistics are available; let's create the conditions for sharing and integrating it!

I work for the data department of Wageningen UR’s agricultural economics institute (LEI) and I have for long been interested in methods and organizational arrangements to integrate research data from different sources, so I would be happy to contribute to this initiative.
verwaart

Postby Keizer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Dear all,

The launch meeting of the Research Data Alliance (http://rd-alliance.org/programme/) took place from March 18-20 in Gothenburg. Program and contributions are documented at the website.
During the RDA meeting Nikos Manuselis (Greece), Odile Hologne (France), Esther Zale Yeumo, Kabore (France), Devika Madalli (India), Johannes Keizer (FAO) and Stefania Keters (RDA Secretariate) met to discuss a possible working group on Agricultural data interoperability within RDA. The results of this discussion are:
1. All aspects of agricultural data management is a topic too broad for a working group. To follow on such broad areas within RDA exists the instrument of Interest Group. All participants agreed to set up such an Interest Group on Agricultural data within RDA
2. It was discussed to set up as a first working group a group that should handle the interoperability of data and information on wheat. This is linked to INRA’s (Esther, Odile) strong commitment to the international wheat initiative. The task is daunting, because it tackles the problem of interoperability not of a specific datatype, but of different data types on the same issue (Germplasm data, genetic andphenotype data, statistical data, text….). The output of this working group was envisaged as a kind of “cookbook” how to produce “wheat data” that are easily sharable and interoperable.
It was decided that INRA will conduct stakeholder consultations before such a working group would be formally set up
More detailed results of the discussion of the Interestgroup are in the attached powerpoint.

Next Steps:
a) Definition of the membership of the Interestgroup
The Interestgroup is open please feel free to invite further colleagues. Everyone, who wants to be part of it should contact me to get onto the mailing list. I will post this also on AIMS
b) Assessment of a Working Group on Interoperability of Wheat data sources. Odile and Esther from INRA will conduct stake holder consultations to clarify if this working group is feasible.
c) We can start to collect a list of topics, that should be handled by the Interestgroup in the next two years
d) Way of communication:
a. I will post this mail to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66 and I encourage others to answer by using the Forum for everything what is of public interest.
b. After the G8 conference on “Agricultural Open Data” we should have an online meeting to evaluate the outcomes and to decide what to do until the next Plenary RDA in September

johannes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keizer

Return to RDA Case Statement Discussions