Liaisons between the RDA and the ESIP Federation

Where we discuss anything related to the RDA (catchall)

Moderators: Leif.Laaksonen, SaraPittonetGaiarin

Liaisons between the RDA and the ESIP Federation

Postby rduerr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 am

The Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) is an organization devoted to "making data matter". As such it's goals are very complementary to the RDA even though ESIP is heavily focussed on the Earth Sciences and its members are primarily in the US. Most of the work in ESIP is accomplished by "clusters" which form organically simply because a few people think the topic is worthy of discussion or work. Many of the ESIP cluster activities align well with RDA proposed working groups or interest groups. Clearly it makes sense to coordinate the activities where possible.

In many cases ESIP work could be profitably generalized through the auspices of the RDA and similarly RDA results may often need to be specialized for the Earth Sciences, an appropriate activity for ESIP to consider.

I suggest that this happen very informally through the concept of self-selected liaisons, people who attend related RDA and ESIP activities. They would simply act to keep each RDA working groups informed of activities in the related ESIP clusters and vice versa.

For example, I expect to brief the ESIP clusters I am a member of of what happened here at the RDA launch so that folks can decide if there are activities they want to pay attention to, as well to let the various clusters decide how best to interact or modify their activities accordingly.
rduerr

Re: Liaisons between the RDA and the ESIP Federation

Postby Gary » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Ruth,

Can you serve as a bridge between the Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) which includes a good group of eScience people and the DFT WG?

Gary
Gary

Return to RDA Discussion Area