Practical Policy Working Group

Where we discuss anything related to the RDA (catchall)

Moderators: Leif.Laaksonen, SaraPittonetGaiarin

Postby rwmoore » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Computer actionable policies are used to enforce management, automate administrative tasks, validate assessment criteria, and automate scientific analyses. The Practical Policy Working Group will assemble a collection of production policies, analyze the submitted policies to identify best practices, and promote the formation of policy-based data management systems. Categories of computer actionable policies will be defined to simplify policy-based interoperability, with the goal of identifying a minimal desired set for policies for each category that can be used as a starter kit. Example categories include collaboration, publication, preservation, curation, and data processing.

The attached file will be submitted to the RDA governance group as the Practical Policy Case Statement.

Reagan Moore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rwmoore on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
rwmoore

Re: Practical Policy Working Group

Postby pwittenburg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Great to kick this off as well in the RDA forum. Please add the "CLARIN research infrastructure initiative for language resources and technology" to the list of supporting initiatives.
For the MPI please take out Herman Stehouwer herman.stehouwer@mpi.nl, but add Willem Elbers instead (willem.elbers@mpi.nl).

best
Peter
pwittenburg

Postby jreetz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Dear Reagan,

good to see the policy working group evolving and having this consolidated version of the document available.

Please add the "Garching Computing Centre of the Max Planck Society (data replication and archiving)" to the list of initially engaged partners (sect. 4) as well as Stefan Heinzel ( stefan.heinzel@rzg.mpg.de ) and Johannes Reetz ( johannes.reetz@rzg.mpg.de ) to the list of initial membership (sect. 6).
We contributed to the initial version of the working group document (cf. Stefan's mail from September 04, 2012 4:05 PM).

Kind regards,
Johannes
jreetz

Mailing list POLICY

Postby stotzka » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 am

Dear All,

Currently we are running a mailing list
“Practical Policies” at rda-wg-policy@lists.kit.edu.

I have asked Herman Stehouwer to set up a new one at
rda-cwg-policy@lists.rd-alliance.org
When the new list is set up I will move and inform the subscribers.

I think in future most of the discussions will happen here in the forum.

RAiner
Rainer Stotzka
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
http://ipelsdf1.lsdf.kit.edu/cms/
stotzka

Postby rwmoore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 pm

The list of initial members and collaborating institutions have been updated. The revised document has been attached to the initial post of the case statement.

We welcome additional participants.

Reagan Moore
rwmoore

Postby swolff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

Reagan, all - I should like to participate as an initial representative of Internet2, where we have an abiding interest in data management policies with particular emphasis on federation. -steve wolff
swolff

Postby gfiameni » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Dear Reagan,
could you please include my organization "CINECA - Interuniversities Consortium" to this WG?
Our main interests are on data replication, archiving and sharing.
My colleague Claudio Cacciari (c.cacciari@cineca.it) and I (g.fiameni@cineca.it) will contribute to the discussion.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
Giuseppe
gfiameni

Postby rwmoore » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I added Cineca and Internet2 to the list of interested organizations.

Reagan Moore
rwmoore

Survey of policy areas of interest

Postby rwmoore » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:47 pm

The attached file lists the types of policy systems and policy areas that are of interest to members of the Practical Policy Working Group. This list will be updated to reflect the areas that are of highest interest. Currently, these policy areas are:
- archiving
- data management
- data sharing
- federation
- replication

Willem Elbers and Johannes Reetz have restructured the survey into two sheets, one with persons and one with policies.
Any updates are appreciated.

Reagan Moore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rwmoore

Practical Policy Working Group meeting

Postby rwmoore » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Jan 10, 2013

Participating members in the monthly video conference included:
Reagan Moore
Jedrzej Rybicki
Rainer Stotzka
Giuseppe Fiameni
Jens Ludwig
Marcio Faerman
Arcot Rajasekar
Willem Elbers
Mark Hedges

The case statement was reviewed, updated and approved. The new version will be posted on the discussion site viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24 and submitted to the RDA.

Not all members will be able to attend the RDA meeting in Gothenburg, Sweden on March 18-21. The members who can attend are:
Ranier Stotzka
Guiseppe Fiameni
Jens Ludwig
Johannes Reetz
Reagan Moore
To promote collaboration, a video-conference will be held from Gothenburg.

A discussion was held on alternate video-conferencing systems. We will continue to use the current flash system until a better system is identified. Willem Elbers volunteered to set up monthly video-conferences using the flash system.

Members were encouraged to complete the policy survey. Information will be posted on use of a mediawiki for hosting policy documents.

Reagan Moore
rwmoore

Next

Return to RDA Discussion Area