Online Interaction Forum

Where we discuss anything related to the RDA (catchall)

Moderators: Leif.Laaksonen, SaraPittonetGaiarin

Online Interaction Forum

Postby pwittenburg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:59 am

Dear all,

after the many emails we received after having started using the current forum, it became obvious that we need to improve the forum stepwise. Attached is a first draft note that describes what kind of features a next forum should have. We would like to ask all people involved in preparing case statements and starting initiatives to comment on the note.

best
Herman & Peter
MPI for Psycholinguistics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwittenburg

Re: Online Interaction Forum

Postby inkouper » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks for putting it together and opening for deliberations. A few considerations:

1. The "RDA-process" role is not very clear. It refers to RDA-Council and the expert committee, which are not described in the doc. What are the processes that are relevant to WGs, but cannot be addressed by people within WGs? Is it related to RDA leadership, technical support, something else?

2. The matrix mixes tasks with rights. Thus, leading discussion/managing consensus is a task. It can be realized by restricting rights of opening / closing topics for discussion to WG chairs. At the same time "WG-comments" or "Send a message" are rights or activities that can be associated with various tasks, including leading discussions, drafting WG documents, etc. It seems that each role needs its own tasks (responsibilities) and separately a matrix of access rights to certain areas and activities on the forum.

3. Finally, I think we need a separate storage space for documents. It's not very convenient/effective to store them as attachments to posts. We could store them in a folder-organized space and link from forum posts or access directly.

Inna
inkouper

Postby tobiasweigel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 am

I'd like to request more technical features for the OIF:

First of all, an e-mail notification/subscription model for specific threads and forums - this will help to keep WG members up to date, particularly if they wish to focus on a small subset of the overall activities.

A perhaps larger issue is the role of the forum vs. the mailing lists. Should this be defined more clearly for the whole RDA or are these specifically intended to be agnostic tools which each WG may use as seems appropriate? I would argue that it helps to focus on a single communication medium for the whole RDA activity so it is less hassle for a single person to keep track of several WG activities. Using the forum as the single channel will provide very valuable benefits of sophisticated moderation facilities; specifically, I'd propose to include these:

• moderators should be able to split threads to focus discussion topics, giving side issues a thread of their own
  • providing subforums (and subsubforums) for WGs as a tool to arrange their work
  • being able to use sticky threads (which always remain at the top of a forum) to provide context for new members, announce deadlines, give easy (persistent) access to working documents

(I'm fairly certain phpBB offers these features out of the box :))
Tobias Weigel, DKRZ
tobiasweigel

Postby HermanStehouwer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:22 pm

I would like to add that I (personally) would like to see the emails that go over the mailinglists (threads, archives, something) prominantly displayed in the OIF.
I think it is important to have a single place where all interaction over official channels can be seen.
HermanStehouwer

Postby llannom » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Strongly support email notifications of forum posts as a user option. Could/should be by topic. Otherwise there is no way to keep track other than looking on a routine basis. Also consider having all mailing lists go through the forum, e.g., every email is a post.

I was about to respond to one of the WGs with a comment and was immediately unsure of whether to reply to the email that brought me the draft or post my comments to the forum. Easiest would be to have those be the same event.

Larry
llannom

Postby inkouper » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:01 pm

More on lists vs forums... Did anybody look into effective ways of massive collaborative communications? I wonder how many similar organizations use forum as a main mode of interaction. I looked into a few while working on the case statement, and I didn't see forums widely used. Perhaps, lists with properly organized and publicized archives are enough?

As for working on/with documents, the forum doesn't seem to be a good option either. I already mentioned attachments before. For massive editing and commenting, which seems important to RDA, we probably need a wiki option.

Lists + wikis and proper organization of the RDA website so that everybody interested in certain WGs gets access to them?
inkouper

Postby llannom » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:23 pm

The IETF uses email lists, including searchable archives, plus separate document stores. A completely different set of folks with which I am involved (Financial Stability Board / Legal Entity Id) use a forum with email alerts when something is posted. They both work. The key, from my perspective, is to make sure that there is a single searchable and reliable record of substantive communications. This is important for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is so that repetitive debates and various rat-holes can be short circuited by referencing an existing thread of some kind.

Larry
llannom

wiki

Postby inkouper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm

We've been thinking about inviting more people into collaborating on our case statement and it seems that a wiki functionality would be very helpful. Some groups will be collecting use cases and best practices, so it will be useful to crowdsource our efforts as much as possible.
inkouper

Sub-Folders

Postby stotzka » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 am

How can we create sub-folders, e.g. literature, sub-discussions,
to a group?

Best regards.
RAiner
Rainer Stotzka
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
http://ipelsdf1.lsdf.kit.edu/cms/
stotzka

Postby tobiasweigel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:49 am

As requested by Peter, here is some functionality we (PID Info Types WG) would like to use:

• Wiki area
  • Telco support
  • Some document sharing space

Preferably, at least forum, wiki and docs space should work with a single-sign-on.

Also, there is the recurring theme of whether to use the forum or the mailing lists for interaction. Preferably, use should be possible transparently, but I guess this is also a matter of overall RDA culture.

As far as the forum (phpbb) is concerned, the current facilties we have in our subforum were already helpful, e.g. the ability to create sticky threads. Personally I'd like to see these moderation facilities used more broadly as it provides structure to OIF discussions and guidance to newcomers/infrequent readers. We should all be aware that there are many people who want to be active in one working group and more passively watch progress in other WGs. Giving them a time efficient way to do this is crucial.
Tobias Weigel, DKRZ
tobiasweigel

Return to RDA Discussion Area